Monday, March 01, 2010

Growing Where Planted

Do you ever find yourself thriving in certain places or seasons of life or absolutely dying in others? I've noticed that location and environment definitely affects my spiritual outlook. Sometimes are harder than others to seek and pursue growth! Knowing this about myself, I've been struggling to invest time in some spiritual disciplines. If nothing else, seeing "The Book of Eli" shot me to the heart of my LACK in memorized scripture. I've been attempting to memorize Colossians, primarily because it talks about who we are IN CHRIST. This passage about the character of the new man has come up often... (Col. 3:12-17)

12 Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on TENDER MERCIES, KINDNESS, HUMILITY, MEEKNESS, LONGSUFFERING;

13 BEARING with one another, and FORGIVING one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do.

14 But above all these things put on LOVE, which is the bond of perfection.

15 And let the PEACE of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be THANKFUL.

16 Let the word of Christ DWELL in you richly in all WISDOM, TEACHING and ADMONISHING one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, SINGING with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

17 And whatever you do in word or deed, DO ALL in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving THANKS to God the Father through Him.


1 comment:

Michelle said...

Interesting that you used the phrase "Growing where planted" as that's something I realized I've been struggling with lately. My friend's blog is called "Growing Where You Are Planted" and that's her goal - even though she isn't living where she wants to - and realizing that about her really touched my heart just the other day. I've had a very hard time adjusting to Seattle (something I did NOT expect) and it's affected me in a lot of ways, I think. You are right, where we are really does affect us spiritually. Not being able to be outside often is something that affects me spiritually - I feel like I thrive outside! But here it's mostly cloudy with a constant chance of rain (and it's not as fun to run around in as it was back in the day with you).

One thing I really miss about college is the semester breaks. It always seemed like each semester was a knew challenge for me in those verses you just quoted. My first semester, it was long-suffering, my last semester is was love, and some of those others fell somewhere in between. I always felt like it was so easy to look back at the end of a semester and really distinctly see where the Lord had worked in me. It's harder to do that out here in the real world where there are no semesters and each day is pretty mundane. But then I have to remember that by doing those mundane things as unto God they become spiritual acts/disciplines that are pleasing to Him as they are His will for me in this place in my life. I think right now, in this "semester" (ha, I still think in semesters), he is working humility in me. Thank goodness! I think I needed some!! :)